domingo, 11 de julho de 2010

Poem "An ice cube", Carlos Afonso

An ice cube
drifting
in boiling water
trying to keep
his solid state.

How long
will he manage?

Long enough
to find
and merge with
another ice cube?!
(Then
they would be
two ice cubes
with the same problem.)

Or,
will
he
slowly
lose
his
strength
and
softly
melt
to
liquid...
state?

Or,
will he SUDDENLY be defeated and sublimate?!
(... to gaseous state.)

Well,
and why not
change his will
and Naturally go
over all transition phases
he finds in his Way,
trying, learning, and enjoying
each transition process
and each phase state?!
(He might even discover
there are other states!)

Carlos Afonso
(Oxford, 11 July 2010)

4 comentários:

  1. A physical state romance or "the Romance of the Ice Cube." I like it! You should correct the grammar, though: "An Ice Cube."

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thanks Miguel.

    Glad to know your interpretation of the poem. But I'll not discuss it, because I think poetry is like, each person has its own interpretation.

    When I wrote it I had my idea/interpretation, when a person read it will have is own interpretation, and that's fine - all are welcome!:)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I extended/updated the poem "An ice cube" to the poem "Not to be, to Be!" [http://desentropiando.blogspot.com/2010/07/poem-not-to-be-to-be-carlos-afonso.html]

    ResponderEliminar